Friday, July 10, 2009

Personal Work

“Nonfiction is about facts.
Fiction is about truth.”
Ron Hansen, author

I leave tomorrow for a week-long photographic workshop in Santa Fe, New Mexico with photographer Keith Carter (http://www.keithcarterphotographs.com/).

Keith's work is more about truth than facts, and his style has influenced me greatly. I have a lot to learn from him, and am looking forward to (that is, I am having a difficult time sleeping, and am not particularly focused at work this week) my week at the workshop.











Each participant is asked to bring a portfolio of images for Keith to review at the beginning of the week. These images don't reflect my client work so much as my personal aesthetic. Which, of course, informs all my work, whether it is a wedding, a college botany class, or a piano recital.

It would be great to know if you have a favorite image. (You can click on each image to enlarge them.)
















This is one of a series of images I made as I reflected on my relationship with my dad, who died of cancer when I was 16.











This actually was from a shoot for a client, when we were developing a series of brochures and posters for the local Boys & Girls Club.

You may notice that I love hands and feet. They can be so intricate and expressive. I find that faces tend to draw our attention, and can sometimes distract us from the important things going on in an image. Many of my images are face optional.










But not all! This girl was visiting the "cat room" at a local humane shelter, and I asked her which one was her favorite. She picked up this one.


































I'll send a portfolio of images from the workshop when I get back. I'm excited to see how my work will evolve.

Thanks for taking a look at these!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff,
    I love the picture of a boy dancing on a stack of hay. It reminds me of my childhood, when the whole family gathered to hay, the adults would work and us kids play.
    Have a great time in Santa Fe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely see the interface of your art shots and your client shots. That's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The father's bicep and small hand image is powerful... as men, we are all affected deeply (more than we admit - because we are men) by the iconic males in our lives. It's a tough nut. Superb capture, Jeff. Have a great time at the workshop. Looking forward to the effects...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your face optional work. The shot of the girl hugging her knees makes me realize how fixated one gets on the eyes, which may have turned that winsome smile into something else. And those awesome threads! Have fun at your workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, beautiful, as always! I love the little hand on the big arm, and the dainty skirt & shoes with the plaid shirted arm offering a tasty tidbit to a tiny dog. Sweet. Have a blast -- can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete